[arch-general] package sources on ftp.archlinux.org

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 05:37:19 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 3:56 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 23:57, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Firmicus <Firmicus at gmx.net> wrote:
>>> The reason for doing so is simple: the TeXLive license *requires* us to
>>> provide the sources :)
>>>
>>> BTW if you have problems with my texlive-scripts, feel free to ask ;)
>>
>> Aren't the docs in the same source tarballs? Couldn't you just pull
>> the existing texlive tarballs and use those?
>
> Don't we have a special script that downloads sources of packages?
> Why the sources of texlive are in /other/texlive/ then?

You are confusing sources and sourceballs.

ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/other is intendend for source tarballs for
projects that are no longer hosted upstream, SCM snapshots,  homemade
projects, etc.

ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/sources  is intendend for sourceballs of
packages where the license forces us to also host the sources (GPL2,
GPL, etc.).