[arch-general] No sound after last upgrade

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Fri Oct 9 11:06:58 EDT 2009

On 10/09/2009 10:00 AM, Thiago Varela wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After yesterday's update I can't get any sound off my box anymore :-(
> I tried mpd, xine, mplayer and youtube in firefox, and all of them are completely silent.
> Looked in alsamixer and the master volume is in the appropriate level, also the respective modules seem to be loaded
> and ok.

> Anyone got any pointers?

Couple of things to check:

* has one of the channels (e.g., master, PCM, front) been muted?
* has one of the channels (e.g., PCM, front) been set to volume 0?
* is the snd_pcsp module loaded?  (lsmod | grep snd_pcsp)  If so, unload
it, and set it to not load in your rc.conf.  (That's been known to
interfere with other sound modules.)
* are any of the "Analog Loopback" switches turned on?  If so, turn them
off, as they can disable sound.  (I tore my hair out over that one for
quite a while.)

HTH,

DR