[arch-general] can't unlock a luks encrypted partition. (urgent).

Hussam Al-Tayeb ht990332 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 13:06:51 EDT 2009

Hi, I'm having a problem with disk encryption using luks. I have
my /home disk (on a separate disk 'sdb') encrypted using luks.

I have this in /etc/cryptsetup
home            /dev/sdb1               ASK

and this in /etc/fstab
/dev/mapper/home /home ext4 defaults,user_xattr 0 1

Suddenly today, it won't accept the passphrase on boot. I'm sure that
I'm entering it correctly. It took me 32 tries the first time and many
more the second reboot after kernel 2.6.31.3 update.

The annoying thing is that archlinux only takes three tries
then fails and I have to reboot to try again.

Any idea please? I'm 100% sure I'm entering the passphrase correctly.

I don't have another operating system installed or anything and I go
back to work in a few days so looking for a new distribution or
operating system is not a favorable option. I really need help please :/

[root at LARS hussam]# cryptsetup status /dev/mapper/home
/dev/mapper//dev/mapper/home is active:
  cipher:  aes-cbc-essiv:sha256
  keysize: 128 bits
  device:  /dev/sdb1