[arch-general] can't unlock a luks encrypted partition. (urgent).

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 16:00:15 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Hussam Al-Tayeb <ht990332 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 19:48 +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>> Hussam Al-Tayeb schrieb:
>> > Hi, I'm having a problem with disk encryption using luks. I have
>> > my /home disk (on a separate disk 'sdb') encrypted using luks.
>> >
>> > I have this in /etc/cryptsetup
>> > home            /dev/sdb1               ASK
>> >
>> > and this in /etc/fstab
>> > /dev/mapper/home /home ext4 defaults,user_xattr 0 1
>> >
>> > Suddenly today, it won't accept the passphrase on boot. I'm sure that
>> > I'm entering it correctly. It took me 32 tries the first time and many
>> > more the second reboot after kernel 2.6.31.3 update.
>>
>> I don't really know what's happening right now. However, you should
>> comment out that crypttab line, mark /home as noauto in fstab, boot your
>> system and try unlocking there manually. That way, it will be much
>> easier to investigate the problem.
>>
> Ok, I did that. and manually run 'cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdb1 home'
> It literally took over 97 tries before it worked.
> How do I investigate what's happening?  cryptsetup -v doesn't give extra
> output?

So this is a 2.6.31 regression, right ? If you go back on 2.6.30, it's
all fine ?

Did you search for luks regression in 2.6.31 ?

After a quick google (less than 1 minute), it seems that some ubuntu
users are affected too :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cryptsetup/+bug/433051

Though not much information there. Maybe you should report this
problem in more appropriate places, after you managed to get more
information about the problem.