[arch-general] can't unlock a luks encrypted partition. (urgent).

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Fri Oct 9 19:45:59 EDT 2009

Am Sat, 10 Oct 2009 02:15:35 +0300
schrieb Hussam Al-Tayeb <ht990332 at gmail.com>:

> my root partition passphrase (arch asks for at initramfs stage) always
> works and it accepts it correctly.
> This issue happens when you try to unlock a partition later on.
> This means that if you don't have an encrypted /home on a different
> partition, you won't see this problem.

Just another thought. I know that this is also pretty improbable.

I don't know the filesystem of your / partition. Can this be an issue
with ext4 in kernel 2.6.31 and LUKS?

Have you checked your harddisk with smartctl, badblocks or something
similar? Maybe it is indeed dying. Of course it's also improbable if
this issue appeared only after upgrading from kernel 2.6.30 to 2.6.31
but maybe worth a try.

Otherwise I don't have any other ideas.

Heiko