[arch-general] can't unlock a luks encrypted partition. (urgent).

Rogutės Sparnuotos rogutes at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 10 10:13:41 EDT 2009

Hussam Al-Tayeb (2009-10-10 14:11):
> Yes, I've reinstalled both the kernel and cryptsetup.
> luks is device blocks encryption if I'm not mistaken so filesystem type
> shouldn't matter.

Yes, the filesystem type shouldn't matter. Anyway, I'm running a custom
built 2.6.31.3 and use an encrypted ext4 home partition with
passphrases, and it works here.

In your previous mails you were saying that your home partition unlocks
every time, but only after numerous consecutive tries, correct? That is,
after booting,

 dash -c 'echo "pass"|cryptsetup luksOpen dev name'

doesn't work, but

 dash
 while ! echo "pass"|cryptsetup luksOpen dev name; do
   n=$((n+1)); test $n -ge 100 && break
 done

does?

If that is the case, it is really strange and I doubt I can help you.

Did you try simply booting up, waiting for a minute or two and trying to
unlock the partition?

You didn't post the relevant part of your /var/log/pacman.log yet (the
part with the update which broke cryptsetup).

You didn't say why and how did you update to 2.6.31.3. Are you running
the testing repository?

You didn't say whether you tried downgrading your kernel:
$ pacman -S kernel26
   and/or
$ pacman -S kernel26-lts

Did you try running /sbin/cryptsetup.static instead of cryptsetup?

Might module loading be delayed because of some obscure reason?
$ lsmod|grep -i aes

Have you got some exocitc cpu with hardware AES encryption?

--
--  Rogutės Sparnuotos