[arch-general] Overly large fonts in X11 after rebooting

Partha Chowdhury kira.laucas at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 00:03:19 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 06:21:00PM -0400, Samuel Baldwin wrote:
> 2009/10/10 Ray Kohler <ataraxia937 at gmail.com>:
> > Check the DPI of your display (with xdpyinfo). Probably the lack of
> > the external monitor made it come up differently.
> >
> > I dealt with this by fixing the XFT DPI value to 96, which is what
> > most fonts are designed for, and what most software that cares,
> > expects it to be. This can be done by setting the X property "xft.dpi"
> > to "96".
>
> arrakis^~% xdpyinfo| grep -E 'resol|dimens'
>   dimensions:    1680x1050 pixels (331x210 millimeters)
>   resolution:    129x127 dots per inch
>
> Not good? Where should I set xft.dpi? (Sorry, I haven't twiddled with
> X much besides xorg.conf and .Xdefaults, is it either of those?)

i have an acer aspire 4720 laptop and i also was having problems with
large fonts.this link [1] helped me. I also manually unchecked the
option "allow pages to choose their own fonts" under
firefox->edit->preferences->content->advanced.

[1]http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acer_Aspire_One#Setting_dpi