[arch-general] perl 5.10.1-3 broken ?

Firmicus Firmicus at gmx.net
Sun Oct 11 07:41:48 EDT 2009

Ashish SHUKLA a écrit :
> In <4ACDADA2.7030904 at gmx.net>, Firmicus wrote:
>> Ashish SHUKLA a écrit :
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I've noticed that the recent perl update (5.10.1-3) has not
>>> installed any PODs
>>> which are required by 'perldoc' for displaying documentation. Are
>>> PODs moved
>>> to some different package ?
>>>
>>> #v+
>>> % pacman -Ql perl |fgrep .pod
>>> % pacman -Q perl
>>> perl 5.10.1-3
>>> #v-
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> Ashish SHUKLA
>>>

>> See http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/16488
>>
>> But please, "broken" is too strong! Perl is not broken. It's just that
>> because of the purge options in makepkg.conf, all pods have been
>> deleted. But ALL the documentation is still there in the form of
>> manpages.
>
> Apologies if this offended you. Anyways looking forward to an update
> with PODs included.
>
> Thanks

Ashish,

Don't worry, I am not easily offended! ;)

The issue is fixed with the version currently in testing (pkgrel = 5).

Note that to look up the documentation of the modules bundled with perl,
you need to use man instead of perldoc. Arch's policy is to exclude the
pod files with CPAN-based packages, since they are already duplicated as
man pages.

Best regards,