[arch-general] Should samba be considered out-of-date?

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 19:28:10 EDT 2009

Currently samba has just been upped to 3.3.8. However the current
'stable' for samba according to their website is 3.4.2.

As I'm sure the maintainer already knows about this, I'm wondering which
of the changes in samba 3.4 (listed
http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.4.0.html initially) is
holding up adoption of the package. Is it (as I suppose) the changeover
to tdbsam breaking current configs?

My interest in this is that samba 3.4 has samba4 sources available which
could potentially be used for a merged-build. Unfortunately the build
process for samba (as seen in the samba 3.3 PKGBUILD) is really scary
for me, so I'm hesitant to try it out, also I would have no way of
knowing if any eventual samba 3.4 package would be able to replace samba
3.3 functionality.

Basically this is something between a 'flag out-of-date' and a feature
request.