[arch-general] X fails to start with intel card after latestkernel update

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Oct 14 15:35:58 EDT 2009

On Monday 12 October 2009 02:51:51 pm Dusty wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I have managed to upgrade (pacman -Syu) grabbing the new kernel upgrade and
>  not killing my X using KMS.
>
> What I did to avoid the problems you guys are getting is the following:
>
> 1) Goto the ArchWiki and search for intel and bring up the following page:
>
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_Graphics
>
> 2) Follow the steps for the KMS settings..
>
> 3) Then run pacman -Syu and grab the updates, install them.
>
> 4) Reboot.
>
> 5) It works :)
>
> I have the following hardware:
<snip>

> Primary display adapter: #9
> root ~  #
>
> I suspect, if you were to follow the KMS steps in the above URL, then
>  reboot you will probably be ok.  If that doesn't work, I would roll back,
>  do the KMS steps, then upgrade (grab the new kernel) and reboot..
>
> Hope this helps you guys,
>
> Let me know how you get on.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Dusty.

<snip>

Dusty, Glad you got it working, but for me:

Bummer :-(

I have followed the wiki to a T, using 'Late' Start, but my intel box is still
dead in the water:

Last login: Tue Oct 13 10:44:44 2009 from alchemy.3111skyline.com
14:24 supersff:~> cat /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf
#
# /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf (for v2.6 kernels)
#
options i915 modeset=1
14:25 supersff:~> grep i915 /etc/rc.conf
MODULES=(tg3 acx intel_agp i915)

I have updated everything, and I still get the black screen of death. On boot,
you can tell that X tries to start, the screen flashes, but then BAM back to
the terminal screen. Latest logs:

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/bugs/supersff/Xorg.0.log.1014

dmesg (bzipped)

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/bugs/supersff/dmesg.out.bz2