[arch-general] X fails to start with intel card after latestkernel update

pascal lepascalou at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 08:47:11 EDT 2009

Le Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:48:44 +0200
Rafa Griman <rafagriman at gmail.com> a écrit:

> Hi :)
>
> On Wednesday 14 October 2009 21:35:58 David C. Rankin wrote:
> > On Monday 12 October 2009 02:51:51 pm Dusty wrote:
> > > Hey guys,
> > >
> > > I have managed to upgrade (pacman -Syu) grabbing the new kernel upgrade
> > > and not killing my X using KMS.
> > >
> > > What I did to avoid the problems you guys are getting is the following:
> > >
> > > 1) Goto the ArchWiki and search for intel and bring up the following
> > > page:
> > >
> > > http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_Graphics
> > >
> > > 2) Follow the steps for the KMS settings..
> > >
> > > 3) Then run pacman -Syu and grab the updates, install them.
> > >
> > > 4) Reboot.
> > >
> > > 5) It works :)
> > >
> > > I have the following hardware:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > Primary display adapter: #9
> > > root ~  #
> > >
> > > I suspect, if you were to follow the KMS steps in the above URL, then
> > >  reboot you will probably be ok.  If that doesn't work, I would roll
> > > back, do the KMS steps, then upgrade (grab the new kernel) and reboot..
> > >
> > > Hope this helps you guys,
> > >
> > > Let me know how you get on.
> > >
> > > Kind Regards,
> > >
> > > Dusty.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > Dusty, Glad you got it working, but for me:
> >
> > Bummer :-(
> >
> > I have followed the wiki to a T, using 'Late' Start, but my intel box is
> >  still dead in the water:
>

> I'm using the "Early" start on an MSI Wind and works perfect.
>

> > Last login: Tue Oct 13 10:44:44 2009 from alchemy.3111skyline.com
> > 14:24 supersff:~> cat /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf
> > #
> > # /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf (for v2.6 kernels)
> > #
> > options i915 modeset=1
> > 14:25 supersff:~> grep i915 /etc/rc.conf
> > MODULES=(tg3 acx intel_agp i915)
> >
> > I have updated everything, and I still get the black screen of death. On
> >  boot, you can tell that X tries to start, the screen flashes, but then BAM
> >  back to the terminal screen. Latest logs:
>

> How about booting into runlevel 3 and then manualy running "startx"? Have you
> tried that?
>

> > http://www.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/bugs/supersff/Xorg.0.log.1014
>

> Been looking through your log and see this line:
>
> 	Kernel command line: root=/dev/sda6 ro vga=0x31a
>
> Shouldn't you remove all the vga= and/or video= options in menu.lst?
>
> Maybe that's the problem.
>
> HTH
>
>    Rafa

Hi
In the last Xorg.0.log I can see that you removed the "vga=0x31a" part. But
the vesa module is still loaded (and unloaded short after) just after the intel
module, and the output used is VGA1. I also have an 915 chipset (though a
915GM) and upgraded to Xorg from testing to see if I could reproduce your
problem. Apart some serious performance regression (and some freezes...) it
works almost fine. I diff'ed my Xorg.0.log with yours and I don't have the
vesa module loaded. Also my output is set to LVDS1, which I remember changed
when I went to KMS some months ago (before that the output was VGA1, if I
record correctly). I also have a line saying " (**) intel(0): Kernel mode
setting active, disabling FBC. ", which doesn't appear in your log. Makes me
wonder if your kernel is really using KMS. When booted, does the framebuffer
display in native resolution ?
I switched back to Xorg from [extra] for stability matters. [testing] being
for ... well, testing.