[arch-general] Intel AG 4965

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Oct 17 03:42:14 EDT 2009

On Friday 16 October 2009 04:33:59 am Alan Hoffmeister wrote:
> OK, I'll try when I get home...
>
> On my work i could connect whit a WEP wireless...
>
> Maybe some problem whit the wpa stuff?
>
> Att,
> Alan

Alan,

	On my archlinux laptop using wpa wireless with my Atheros card, I basically
use a small config file to automate the address negotiation so I get the IP I
want every time. I use basically aa 3 step process to get my connection up and
running each time:

(1) For wpa sites, set up your /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file:

wpa_passphrase "your_ESSID" "PassPhrase_up-to-64-Characters" \
>> /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

This will append the wpa_passphrase into an essid block for your network at
the end of the wpa_supplicant.conf file. Example:

network={
        ssid="skyline"
        priority=6
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        proto=RSN
#       psk="changedpasswdthistime"
        psk=660d3df4854d3bcce48a5ce0f4f1dd1d22acec9de17bc31f3b698b13b569bf2c
}

You see you will get both the plain text and hex encoding of your passphrase
added to the wpa_supplicant file.

(2) create a small config file in /etc/network.d that can be called from
rc.conf to bring up your network. This is all I use:

02:34 alchemy:/etc> cat network.d/dcrwpa.conf
CONNECTION="wireless"
INTERFACE=wlan0
SCAN="yes"
SECURITY="wpa"
ESSID="skyline"
KEY="changedpasswdthistime"
IP="dhcp"
TIMEOUT=20

(3) now just add your config file to the netowrk section of rc.conf:

# This now requires the netcfg package
#
NETWORKS=(!main dcrwpa.conf)

If you noticed above, my small config file is named dcrwpa.conf. Also notice
that you need the netcfg package installed to make use of it.

Then in my daemons line, I just have the network enabled and it starts my
wireless automatically every time:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network net-profiles hal @ntpd @sshd @crond @netfs @avahi-
daemon @mysqld !postfix !dovecot !httpd !samba @cups)

That should get you going, or at least give you some additional information.
Good luck!

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC