[arch-general] Splitting up the 'boinc' package

Karol Babioch karol at babioch.de
Sun Oct 18 13:49:26 EDT 2009

Hi,

I'm new to this mailing list (and to mailing lists itself), so please
forgive me any mistakes I'm doing ;).

I hope that I use the right list, at least it seems to be the most
adequate one ...

However I'm participating in some BOINC projects. Although there is a
'boinc' package in the community repository (which was updated just
yesterday). First of all I want to ask you why you have updated this
package to a unstable version? According to this
(http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php) page the latest stable
version is 6.6.38, but the version in the repository is 6.10.13, which
is a development version. Shouldn't there be just stable versions in the
repository?

Furthermore I think that the package itself should be splitted. I have a
root server, which has not X server installed, but want to use boinc
there, too. Therefore I think there should be at least two packages
'boinc-client' as well as 'boinc-manager'. The optimum would be even
some more packages, something like 'boinc-dev' (all stuff in order to
setup an own boinc project).

Maybe you can take some inspiration from the debian structure of the
boinc packages:
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=boinc&searchon=names&suite=stable&section=all

I know that it is possible to create this packages for my own (using
abs), but I think it should be available for greater audience.

What do you think about this? Would it be ok, to create these packages
and submit them to the aur? As there is already a boinc package in the
main repository, I don't quite know whether such redundancy is accepted
at all?

Best regards
Karol 'johnpatcher' Babioch

--