[arch-general] defunct packages spooking around

Firmicus Firmicus at gmx.net
Wed Oct 21 04:55:19 EDT 2009

Hi folks,

Sorry for the halloweenish subject heading ;)

I recently got this bug report:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/16690

It turned out it was not a bug with the perl package at all, but a
problem which occurs when the presumably very old and no longer existing
package "termcap-compat" is installed on a system. It was originally
installed as a dependency for some other, unidentified package. And it
turned out to my surprise that even I still had that package installed!

That prompts me to ask the following:

Are there other such obsolete packages that typically should no longer
be installed on a "clean" Arch Linux system? I am not in favour of
automating their removal, of course, but it would be useful to collect a
list of such things that we could put in the wiki and/or our monthly
newsletter. Another example that comes to mind is the obsolete file
/etc/udev/udev.rules that I also still had until recently, and which I
have removed after Thomas' suggestion.

Please submit your suggestions for the forthcoming "Arch Ghostbusting
Day" (aka "The Great Halloween Cleanup")! :)

François