[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Load_Cycle_Count and storage-fixup

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 17:07:36 EDT 2009

2009/10/19 Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com>:

>> > I'd like to affirm the opinions of Roman and Xavier and take some action on
>> > this.

Thanks for picking up this topic!

>> > Anyone object to my putting storage-fixup in [extra] at least? If no
>> > objections by W 9/21, I plan to go ahead with that step. If it works out, we
>> > can talk about follow-up steps like:
>> >
>> > 1) moving it to [core]
>> > 2) integrating it into default rc.d scripts
>> >
>> > It's a pretty serious issue for laptop users with affected drives. And the
>> > drives are pretty popular ones, methinks.

No objections, it seems, go for it!

>> Also note that, when raising awerness about this issue, the fixup
>> ussually needs to be run on resume from disk (and I think resume from
>> ram) too. Not only on boot.

Good point!

> Isn't all this handled simply by getting laptop-mode to do it? Its
> possible to allow laptop-mode to control hdparm settings, after all.

IIRC laptop-mode-tools can fix this if configured correctly,
but this is not the right solution IMO.

> Besides, this is mainly (exclusively?) a problem for laptop hard discs.

I'm not sure if this is a (common enough) problem for 3.5" (non-laptop) HDDs,
but it's worth noting that 2.5" (AKA "laptop") HDDs are used not only
in laptops:
Mini-ITX boxes, NAS boxes, HDTV players, even some servers - all have
2.5" HDDs quite often.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)