[arch-general] Why does kde4 over vnc look bad if host is Arch, looks fine if suse?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Oct 21 22:50:53 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 21 October 2009 08:54:04 pm Byron Clark wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 08:38:58PM -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:
> >   This has puzzled me for a while now. If I need to do something on a
> > remote host that is something more than what I want to do over ssh
> > (something that requires 4-5 windows or apps or configuring the actual
> > remote desktop) I use vncserver/vncviewer. If I need a kde4 app and the
> > remote host is opensuse, then there is no problem at all running the app.
> > If the remote host is arch, then I am kind of screwed because there is
> > some setting causing kde4 (which I understand uses native 24bit color) to
> > look terrible. The vncserver setting on both suse and arch are identical.
> > The start script I use for vncserver is:
>
> Do both vncservers have the RENDER extension?  You can find out by
> running 'xdpyinfo | grep RENDER' in a terminal inside the vnc session.
> If the vncserver doesn't support the RENDER extension, anything qt4
> based is going to look bad.

Damn, it is sure nice to be on a list with smart people! I think you hit the
nail on the head. Here are the extension differences shown between xdpyinfo on
suse and archlinux:

Arch:

21:45 dcrgx2:~> cat linux/dt/vnc/xdpyinfo-extensions.txt
number of extensions:    7
    BIG-REQUESTS
    MIT-SHM
    MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
    SHAPE
    SYNC
    XC-MISC
    XTEST
default screen number:    0
number of screens:    1

20:39 dcrgx:~> cat linux/dt/vnc/xdpyinfo-extensions.txt
number of extensions:    25
    BIG-REQUESTS
    DEC-XTRAP
    DPMS
    Extended-Visual-Information
    GLX
    MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    MIT-SHM
    MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
    RECORD
    RENDER
    SECURITY
    SGI-GLX
    SHAPE
    SYNC
    TOG-CUP
    VNC
    X-Resource
    XAccessControlExtension
    XC-APPGROUP
    XC-MISC
    XFree86-Bigfont
    XInputExtension
    XKEYBOARD
    XTEST
    XVideo
default screen number:    0
number of screens:    1

You are 100% correct, suse had RENDER enable, arch doesn't. How do I enable
RENDER on Arch?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC