[arch-general] SMPlayer and Qt

Evangelos Foutras foutrelis at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 09:31:48 EDT 2009

Lars Tennstedt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I don't know. But your reply tells me that it does not matter. I guess
> that the differences between Qt 4.5.3 and 4.5.2 only consists of bug
> fixes and are not that important.
>
> Have a nice day!
> Lars
>
> Allan McRae wrote:
>> Lars Tennstedt wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> SMPlayer version 0.6.8 (SVN r3213) form the repository is compiled
>>> with Qt 4.5.2. At the moment the version of Qt is 4.5.3. Is it time
>>> to rebuild SMPlayer?
>>
>> Does it matter?
>>
>> Allan

It's dynamically linked [1] against Qt, so it will use the version of
the library that is currently installed on the system. In this case,
SMPlayer also reports that it's using Qt 4.5.3 in its about menu: "Using
Qt 4.5.3 (compiled with Qt 4.5.2)". A rebuild of an application is
required when one or more of the libraries it links against gets a
"soname bump" which would indicate that its ABI [2] has changed.

Oh, and please use bottom-posting [3] when replying. :)

----
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_%28computing%29#Dynamic_linking
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_binary_interface
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Bottom-posting