[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Load_Cycle_Count and storage-fixup

Stefan Erik Wilkens stefanwilkens at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 11:39:48 EDT 2009

Hey guys, new to the list.

Concerning this load_cycle_count issue, we should recall that applying
hdparm -B 255 (254) /dev/sdx has more consequences that the user should, at
least, be made aware of.

As I'm sure you are all aware: completely disabeling the feature will cause
increased heat production and power consumption for one, but most
importantly: It increases the chance that the drive is damaged if the mobile
device is moved during operation! Perhaps this sort of action should be left
to the user, and an applet or deamon should be written that monitors the
spin cycle count through S.M.A.R.T. and informs the user if it is increasing
at an alarming rate in a more graphical or direct way. The user him/herself
can then decide what to do. Is storage-fixup's -d an option for this?

yes, it's a serious issue and yes the users should be aware. But should the
system itself decide to take this action or should we simply inform and let
the user decide. I lean towards the latter myself.

msn: stefan_wilkens at hotmail.com
e-mail: stefanwilkens at gmail.com
blog: http://www.stefanwilkens.eu/
adres: Lipperkerkstraat 14 7511 DA Enschede