[arch-general] Xorg strange keyboard behaviour

Borislav Gerassimov borislavba at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 06:00:12 EDT 2009

2009/10/26 Philipp Gesang <pgesang at ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>:
> Good morning,
>

> since a few days I'm experiencing an unwanted behaviour in X: after some time,
> apparently when cycling keyboard layouts, the key just don't work as expected
> anymore.  For example pressing RALT will give return, the left arrow will be
> remapped to change group etc.  Terminating and restarting X will remove the
> problem; everything works fine on terminals.
>
> The error is not reproducible but seems to be related to/caused by layout
> switching.  And I'm switching very often.  I'm using Openbox 3.4.7.2, Kxkb,
> Xorg 1.6.3.901-1.  On my second box where I use wmii with keybound scripts for
> layout switching the error didn't show up yet.  I'm appending xorg.conf, xkb
> configuration, and selected output of xev _after_ the error occured.  Feel
> free to request any logs.
>
> Thanks for Your help!
>

> Philipp
>

> setxkbmap -print        http://pastie.org/private/uxqg99n6uhap9dknis1gig
> xorg.conf               http://pastie.org/private/qchqolhh0dltdtidnrxb6q
> xevents                 http://pastie.org/private/1a6edox5b1r8fdvkbbxoq

It happens to me too. I have xorg from testing (1.7.1) with the
following drivers: ati, evdev, keyboard and mouse. Input hotplugging
is enabled with keyboard layout switching defined in the only .fdi
file in /etc/hal/fdi/policy
("grp:alt_shift_toggle,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"). "Option DontZap
false" is in xorg.conf. Nothing abnormal I think...
Everything was working fine two weeks ago until the moment KMS was
enabled I think... I'm using it (at least tried to, it's not working
in my case, radeon hd3200 is not supported yet) but with nomodeset
this happens too. Maybe it's not the cause, just noticing.
Sometimes Ctrl + Alt + F1 and then Alt + F7 helps, but sometimes it
just kills the X session with whatever login manager or desktop
environment is installed. I hope somebody knows what's wrong :)

--
Поздрави, Борислав! | Greetings, Borislav!