[arch-general] polkit v.s policykit

Mathieu Clabaut mathieu.clabaut at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 07:13:55 EDT 2009

Hello all,

 It appears I've got two similar packages on my computer:

- polkit, which is needed by the following packages :
:: consolekit: requiert polkit>=0.94
:: devicekit-disks: requiert polkit>=0.94
:: devicekit-power: requiert polkit>=0.94
:: gconf: requiert polkit>=0.94
:: polkit-gnome: requiert polkit>=0.94
:: system-tools-backends: requiert polkit>=0.94

-policykit, which is needed by the following packages :
:: hal: requiert policykit>=0.9-6
:: polkit-qt: requiert policykit
:: pulseaudio: requiert policykit

As noted on the forum (
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=644090#p644090), they do not
reference the same policy rules.

My guess is  that policykit is due to be removed and replaced by polkit. But
in the meanwhile the system-wide privileges are very difficult to manage !

Can someone tell me more about those packages ?
What shall I do to have a functional privilege management ?

Thanks for any tip,

-Mathieu