[arch-general] We have lost the desktop war. The reason? Windows 7.

Stefan Erik Wilkens stefanwilkens at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 07:41:01 EDT 2009

2009/10/26 RedShift <redshift at pandora.be>:
> [...]
> good riddance, Windows 7 really is better than Windows Vista. Microsoft
> recognized the problems with Windows Vista and dealt with them. And dealt
> with
> them swiftly if you ask me, doing it in less then 3 years.
>

> Conclusion
>
> We are losing ground. We are losing it fast. Our competitors recognize what
> the
> user wants and delivered.
>
> If we are comparing enterprise desktops, there's no going around Red Hat.
> The
> current Red Hat desktop (5.4) ships with KDE 3.5, while its succesor RHEL 6
> will
> be, if looking what Fedora brings now, shipped with KDE 4.2 or 4.3. That
> means
> KDE 4.2/4.3 will be the main desktop for enterprises for at least the next 3
> years. A disgrace if you ask me. Users will be comparing desktop
> environments
> and they will find Windows 7 or Mac OS X to be better. After the damage RHEL
> 6
> will have done to the reputation of the Linux desktop, it will take again as
> many years to rectify the damage done. Granted if we will have a solid
> desktop
> environment comparable to Windows 7 by the time RHEL 7 gets released. Which
> can't help but doubt.
>

> My top KDE 4.3 annoyances:
> * Slooooowwww. Logging in takes a multifold of times it did under KDE 3.5,
> repainting windows takes up a lot of time
> * The battery status applet is buggy, it only shows the actual percentage
> after
> you've hovered it with the mouse, even when you've set it to always display.
> The
> scale it uses is also difficult to interpret. These bugs have been reported
> long time ago and are still not fixed.
> * The run dialog is useless. The reason is the history function. It can't
> display a full history when you start typing, you have to type alot more.
> Having
> a pull down menu and using the arrow keys to select the entry you want is
> alot
> faster. Even Microsoft knows they shouldn't touch that dialog, it still
> works
> like a charm in windows 7.
> * Double clicking the system icon in the titlebar doesn't always work to
> close
> an application (the system icon is the left-most icon in the titlebar). This
> bug
> has also been reported a long time ago and still not fixed.
> * I get a full 10 minutes of extra runtime on my laptop when I switched back
> 3.5
> * Power management is buggy in KDE 4.3 and sometimes powerdevil just loses
> its settings
> * Some settings KDE 3.5 used to have aren't there anymore in KDE 4.3.

A general rule in life is that nothing is ever free. Perhaps a bold
remark to use in an open-source mailing list, but cost doesn't have to
be defined by money.

We simply pay for using Linux by coping with slightly lower
performance in some (certainly not all) areas of the desktop
experience, furthermore by dealing with a lack of certain features and
compatabillity with the rest of the world (office and other indistry
standard applications not being available to us, the open source
counterparts not being up to par with the standard due to
closed-source or licencing).

Though we try to stay on par, I think determining that we have lost
implies that we must outperform other operating systems in every way
to be considered a real alternative.

KDE 4.x is in active developement, GNOME is renewing the desktop
experience (albeit slowly). Things are moving along in the open source
desktop world. Thankfully, linux != just desktop

> However, for me, the negatives unfortunatly outweigh the positives. For the most part, because they don't really enhance my productivity

Behind != different?

msn: stefan_wilkens at hotmail.com
e-mail: stefanwilkens at gmail.com
blog: http://www.stefanwilkens.eu/
adres: Lipperkerkstraat 14 7511 DA Enschede