[arch-general] We have lost the desktop war. The reason? Windows 7.

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Mon Oct 26 09:17:03 EDT 2009

Am Mon, 26 Oct 2009 11:57:59 +0100
schrieb RedShift <redshift at pandora.be>:

> This thread will probably erupt in a massive flamewar, yet I decided
> to post my story anyway. I am talking about the desktop experience in
> general, not the technical details behind it. Keep that in mind.

> So when should we have started working at a better desktop
> environment for Linux?

> So basically, where are we at?
> KDE 3.5 is Windows XP
> KDE 4.3 is Windows Vista
> ??? is Windows 7
>

> When are we getting to the Windows 7 stage?

Why do you stick with KDE? Why don't you try Xfce or LXDE?

KDE 1 was quite nice but pretty slow and buggy. Until KDE 3.5 it was
made much more stable and faster so that KDE 3.5 was really usable.
With KDE 4 they went back to KDE 1 regarding stability and speed but
with far too much "eyecandy".

KDE 4 was the reason for me for switching to Xfce. It runs smoothly and
in my opinion fast and has only a few minor issues in my experience.
LXDE seems to be fast and stable, too. For me there's only one applet
missing, don't know which one. I can't decide which one I like
more. Currently I stick with Xfce.

But KDE isn't an option for me anymore.

Since I already used GTK/Gnome apps in KDE, I'm now using Qt/KDE apps in
Xfce.

Heiko