[arch-general] We have lost the desktop war. The reason? Windows 7.

Arvid Picciani aep at exys.org
Mon Oct 26 10:33:12 EDT 2009

hollunder at gmx.at wrote:

> The problem is that the Desktop Environments, GNOME and KDE, in their
> quest for "integrated desktop experience" push more and more stuff
> that's really only useful to those DEs deeper and deeper into the
> system.
> If you as a user need or want it or not, you get it.

I warned about that 2 years ago, and no one would listen. Thankfully we
are at a point were it gets so undenyable that the anger about the
problem is gaining momentum.
I'm lurking in my corner waiting for the day that the crowd is big
enough to form a community (maybe even a distro)

Until then, here are some steps to punch some sanity into your
(arch)linux destop:

1) http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS_-_The_Arch_Build_System

2) IgnorePkg  = dbus dbus-core gconf hal

3) foreach  in {xorg,emacs,qt,webkit,..}

   3.1) find and remove --enable-dbus,  --enable-gconf ,
        --enable-hal, --with-hal,  --other-shite

   3.2) makepgk && sudo pacman -U

4) foreach in {iron,chromium,cups,...}

     4.1)  take a random library, rename it to
           libdbus, libgconf, libwhatever, and LD_PRELOAD it.

     4.2) notice that that the software will gracefully
          handle the missing symbols, despite it "needs" them

5) foreach in $unfixable_software

     5.1) pacman -R $unfixable_software

6) pacman -R dbus-core dbus gconf

7) remove shit from  /etc/cron.d/