[arch-general] We have lost the desktop war. The reason? Windows 7.

Arvid Picciani aep at exys.org
Mon Oct 26 14:02:57 EDT 2009

Aaron Griffin wrote:

 > You read my mind. I was debating adding a little rant here about the
 > necessity of hal, consolekit, policykit, devicekit,
 > whatever-the-hellkit to do the stupidest things. It's real
 > counter-intuitive. And don't even get me started about linux audio -
 > apparently the core market for linux audio developers are people doing
 > live, realtime, studio recordings with a line-in jack on a laptop[1] -
 > not the people who just want their machine to beep at them.

> I absolutely positively hate that all this shit is getting integrated
> into the lower level portions of the operating environment. The
> xorg/hal coupling is gross and disgusting if you don't want or need
> hal. Soon enough, I'll bet udev and devicekit are going to require
> each other. When this starts to happen, it's time to stop using this
> crap

cat  /var/abs/extra/xorg-server/PKGBUILD
8<--
               --enable-config-hal \
       	      --enable-config-dbus \
-->8

cat /var/abs/extra/qt/PKGBUILD
8<--
	patch -p1 -i $srcdir/kde-qt-${_kdeqtver}.patch || return 1
-->8

cat /var/abs/extra/cups/PKGBUILD
8<--
      --enable-dbus
-->8

It's not like anyone but you is forcing those upon us, Aaron.

--
Arvid
Asgaard Technologies