[arch-general] Installing Arch Linux w/ RAID

Carlos Williams carloswill at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 12:23:20 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you want to be constructive, create a wiki page only about raid, if
> there isn't already one.
>
> And you have to figure out which strange modifications are needed and
> why, try finding the real problem, and report it on the bug tracker.

I guess I will just explain what I am doing in detail. If anyone can
please take some time and review my steps in accordance to what you
know to be successful, please let me know. I am so badly trying to get
this working on Arch.

1. Boot from the 2009.08 Netinst / Live CD

2. Login as root (no password) in the live environment

3. Add the required modules for RAID by running the following commands:
   - modprobe raid0
   - modprobe raid1
   - modprobe raid5

4. I run the 'cfdisk' utility to partition my two identical drives for
RAID1 use:
   - cfdisk /dev/sda
   *sda1 = boot --- Primary --- Linux --- 2048 (MB)
   *sda2 = root --- Primary  --- Linux --- 40960 (MB)
   *sda3 = raid --- Primary --- Linux raid --- 102400 (MB)

   *sdb1 = swap --- Primary --- Linux swap --- 2048 (MB)
   *sdb2 = /etc ---   Primary --- Linux --- 40960 (MB)
   *sdb3 = raid --- Primary  ---- Linux raid --- 102400 (MB)

5. I then run the command to build my RAID mirror for /dev/sda3 &
/dev/sdb3 which will be used for /home.
   mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2
/dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3

6. On the Arch Wiki page I skip the entire section under "Setup LVM
and Create the / (root) LVM Volume" since I don't want LVM, just RAID.

7. On the Arch Wiki page I skip the entire "OPTIONAL" section  under
"Create and Mount the Filesystems" since the installer wont let you
skiip this section even if you already did it via command line ahead
of time. It looks like this must be done via /arch/setup.

8. I run the following command in the command line of the Live CD:
   rm /etc/mdadm.conf
   mdadm –D –-scan >> /etc/mdadm.conf

9. Verify the step I did in # 8 above:
  cat /etc/mdadm.conf
  ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid1 num-devices=2 metadata=0.90
UUID=6beb1da7:823eed3e:42odcjij

10. Type /arch/setup to launch the main installer.

11. From the installer menu run the option 1 = Select Source = net

12. Setup Network

13. Choose Mirror

14. Set up the clock

15. Prepare Hard Drive(s) menu I skip the Manually partition hard
drives section since I already did this in 'cfdisk' above and select
option #3 for "Manually Configure block devices / filesystems &
mountpoints.

 - /dev/sda1 = ext3 mounted on /boot
 - /dev/sda2 = ext3 mounted on /

 - /dev/sdb1 = swap
 - /dev/sdb2 = ext3 mount on /etc

 - /dev/md0 = ext3 mounted /home

16. Install packages - I install all base group packages and nothing
more except 'openssh-server * sudo'.

17. Configure System:

 - I edit the rc.conf file to have my "hostname" and nothing else. I
leave LVM=no as it is by default.
 - I edit the mkinitcpio.conf and add 'mdadm' on the "HOOKS" line
before "filesystems" as noted in the Wiki.
 - Check /etc/resolv.conf
 - Check /etc/hosts file for correct info
 - Root-Password - change root password for new system
 - Select "Done / Return to Main Menu"

18. Do I skip "Install Bootloader" from Main Menu installer? The Wiki
shows directions to do this manually however my / and /boot partitions
are not on RAID, just my /home partition. Do I need to follow the
method the Wiki suggests for Grub install manually -vs- automated
install on /dev/sda?

Please let me know what you think!