[arch-general] Encrypted ram disk?

Karol Babioch karol at babioch.de
Tue Oct 27 16:34:48 EDT 2009

Hi,

after setting up a full system encryption, which works just fine
basically, I know want to create a ram disk.

I though that /tmp could be outsourced to a ram disk, to speed things
up.

However I'm wondering whether it really makes sense to encrypt this. If
there is someone able to read my ram, there is nothing I can do about
it, so encryption wouldn't work, would it? Furthermore the content of
the RAM gets encrypted when suspending, as my swap partition is
encrypted. Moreover I think that it would slow down the ram disk, and
that the benefit wouldn't be that great at all.

So what do you think, is there any rational reason to encrypt a ram
disk, or is it fair enough, when I just create an unencrypted one
for /tmp?

Is there anything I can read about this topic?

--
Best regards,
Karol Babioch <karol at babioch.de>