[arch-general] how to boot Windows and Arch...

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Oct 30 04:26:17 EDT 2009

Preston C. schrieb:
> Thank you Magnus, very much. Windows is on the first SATA port,
> though. Any difference in the configuration of Grub since Windows is
> on the first SATA port?

That's difficult indeed. Grub will be installed in the MBR of the first
disk and as far as I know will need its files to be on the same disk -
in a FAT32, ext2/3/4, xfs, jfs, ... (not NTFS) partition.

Having Arch on the first BIOS disk including grub is probably easier,
but you have to do some magic device-swapping in Windows' grub entry,
which will otherwise refuse to start. I don't exactly remember the details.