[arch-general] Installing Arch Linux w/ RAID

toomanymirrors toomanymirrors at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 10:19:29 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 15:24 -0400, Baho Utot wrote:
> Carlos Williams wrote:
>
> [putolin]
>
> > :: Initramfs Completed - control passing to kinit
> > IP-Config: no devices to configure
> > Waiting 0 s before mounting root device...
> > kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
> > EXT3-fs: mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly.
> > INIT: version 2.86 booting
> > INIT: No initab file found
> >

> This means that grub/kernel can not find/read the root file system, the
> kernel needs to past control to init and it can not find /etc/inittab
>
>  From your grub menu.lst file
>
> kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uid/2fbe575b-7fef-4350-9398-d69c3d550de2 ro
>
> try changing to
>
> kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda2 ro
>
> Are you sure that /dev/sda2 is your root filesystem?

I agree, with /dev/md0 being your home directory there should not be any
kernel panic even if it's not being properly mounted at boot. It sounds
like there is another issue going on. Try the suggestion above for grub
and I didn't notice you mentioning you'd added md_mod and raid1 to the
MODULES list in your rc.conf file either. You will need to do that.