[arch-general] since the fglrx legacy driver is now static - any will to make a run at getting it to work?

Rogutės Sparnuotos rogutes at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 1 23:22:12 EDT 2009

> 	Now with the driver static, I wonder if it might not be worth looking into to
> see if it is even feasable to try and make it work with the current arch
> setup. ( I know I'm not smart enough in this area to be of any use. ) The
> reason I bring this up I running arch on one drive I have for my laptop, and
> I'm limited to the radeonhd driver. It's getting better, but it has two
> achiles heels: (1) performance, and (2) heat (lots of it). Ultimately, the
> radeonhd driver will crack the black box and have a great driver, but
> currently, the combination of the issues is bad enough, I keep an old copy of
> suse 11 on another driver for use in my laptop, for no other reason than it
> has the working fglrx driver and I can work with my laptop without the fan
> noise and heat under my left palm caused by the lack of downclocking/powerdown
> of the unused gpu circuitry experienced with the radeonhd driver.

Even if catalyst-9.3 would work with the newly proposed kernel26-lts, it
wouldn't work with xorg-server-1.6, and there's no source code for that
part of the driver. The only way to use the driver would be to downgrade
to xorg-server-1.5 (along with its dependencies, of which there might be
a handful).

--
--  Rogutės Sparnuotos