[arch-general] An evil idea --- use Git to manage the repositories

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Wed Sep 2 04:41:37 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:35:12 +0800
goodmenzy at gmail.com wrote:

> Is it possible?
>
> advantage:
>    1  The mirrors do not need  download the total new pkgs if it just
>       updated several files.
rsync does this too
>    2  old versions of package can be retrived.
YAGNI
>    3  GIT is fast.
rsync is too
>    4  It seems cool!
rsync is more suited for the job

> dis-advantage:
>    1  It is a torture of GIT
>    2  Huge of works to be done.

I think a big improvemt will be when we fix it so that if we move packages from testing to extra/core, mirrors will not see as a "file remove and a new file", which causes a lot of unneeded traffic.
if we make this system use symlinks or whatever this can be handled much better.
but other then that, I think the current syncing system is fine. (the "getting" part is something different. see tiered setup,mirrorbrain etc. discussions)

Dieter