[arch-general] since the fglrx legacy driver is now static - any will to make a run at getting it to work?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Wed Sep 2 04:57:22 EDT 2009

David C. Rankin schrieb:
> 	Now with the driver static, I wonder if it might not be worth looking into to
> see if it is even feasable to try and make it work with the current arch
> setup.

That doesn't change anything. The driver is incompatible with the
current Xorg ABI - and if it isn't, be sure it'll be incompatible with
the next version for at least half a year.

It is also incompatible with the latest kernel - if not, it will be with
the next version.

ATI completely fails to keep up with Xorg and kernel development and
simply sticks to what Ubuntu releases. Nobody in the Arch team will put
that kind of effort in a piece of binary-blob software whose upstream
maintainer doesn't even care.