[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Remove usblp module from kernel26?

Pyther pyther24 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 21:30:55 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Giovanni Scafora<giovanni at archlinux.org> wrote:
> 2009/9/7, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de>:
>> Hi
>>  due to changes in latest cups package this module is conflicting.
>>  Shall we advise the users to blacklist usblp or shall we disable it by default
>>  in kernel config?
>
> I think that we shall advise the users to blacklist usblp.
>

> --
> Arch Linux Developer
> http://www.archlinux.org
> http://www.archlinux.it

What is your reasoning for this choice?

The reason I ask is because I believe this module is used only for usb
printers. Since cups no longer needs this module the only application
that I can think of that would need this module would be p910nd.
p910nd is a small printer daemon intended for diskless workstations
that does not spool to disk but passes the job directly to the
printer. I believe there might only be a few people that use this in
arch. Those who do use it can compile usblp.

It just seems to be more logical and cleaner to remove the module if
there is only a very small user base.

~pyther