[arch-general] KMS console problem with non-us (french) keyboard

didier gaumet didier.gaumet at libertysurf.fr
Wed Sep 9 06:41:58 EDT 2009

KMS console problem with non-us (french) keyboard

Hi all,

I am presently using an up-to-date Archlinux on a laptop with an Intel
915 chipset.
In the past I have tried KMS succesfully to a certain extent: for
example the french letter "é" is not correctly displayed when I type it
in console althought it is correctly displayed under X11. Apart from
this, all seems to function perfectly.
With the same setup in /etc/rc.conf there is no problem to type and
display "é" in console if KMS is disabled.

I was thinking this to be a lack of maturity of KMS, but I just tried
KMS on a Slackware 13.0 (2.6.29 stock kernel) freshly installed on the
same laptop: definitely no problem.

Any hint?

Thanks in advance,
Didier.

From my /etc/rc.conf:
[...]
LOCALE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
HARDWARECLOCK="UTC"
USEDIRECTISA="no"
TIMEZONE="Europe/Paris"
#KEYMAP="fr-latin9"
KEYMAP="fr-pc"
CONSOLEFONT="lat9w-16"
CONSOLEMAP="8859-1_to_uni,8859-15_to_uni,cp1250_to_uni,cp437_to_uni,cp850_to_uni"
[...]