[arch-general] Status of bluetooth in Arch, specially bluez package

Damjan Georgievski gdamjan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 21:06:49 EDT 2009

> Looks like the devs are aware of it: http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2009-September/013363.html

(Since most of us can't send emails to that list)

I've been keeping my PKGBUILDs on
http://damjan.softver.org.mk/git/arch-bluetooth/ up to date since
2008-12-03. I've also tried to provide meaningful commit messages.

If anyone has been following that tree maybe can comment about it's
quality, shortcomings, correctness and its up-to-dateness? What would
you change or improve about it? What more would be required from me so
that I could be an official maintainer?

Now, on the issue of obexd vs obex-data-server. Both are DBus services
that provide OBEX support for different GUI tools. What I don't
understand is if:
1) do they offer the same functionality
2) are they interchangeable
3) are the conflicting or can be installed simultaneously

as I can see both have a "Name=org.openobex" in the DBus service file
(in /usr/share/dbus-1/services/), is this a problem?

What about the GUI tools ... there's blueman, kdebluetooth,
gnome-bluetooth and bluez-gnome (from the bluez developers too) -
these are that I know of. Do theese have some requirement on any of
the obex services?

--
damjan