[arch-general] KMS console problem with non-us (french) keyboard

Damjan Georgievski gdamjan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 11:11:24 EDT 2009

> I am presently using an up-to-date Archlinux on a laptop with an Intel
> 915 chipset.
> In the past I have tried KMS succesfully to a certain extent: for
> example the french letter "é" is not correctly displayed when I type it
> in console althought it is correctly displayed under X11. Apart from
> this, all seems to function perfectly.
> With the same setup in /etc/rc.conf there is no problem to type and
> display "é" in console if KMS is disabled.
>
> I was thinking this to be a lack of maturity of KMS, but I just tried
> KMS on a Slackware 13.0 (2.6.29 stock kernel) freshly installed on the
> same laptop: definitely no problem.

works for me and cyrillics, I've been using KMS since it appeared and
have never noticed that UTF-8 did not work ... also, it's the job of
the framebuffer console (fbcon module) to display characters on the
screen and it has nothing to do with KMS (which only provides the
framebuffer).

This is from rc.conf
LOCALE="mk_MK.utf8"
KEYMAP="uk"