[arch-general] archlinux on old hardware

Nicolas Bigaouette nbigaouette at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 10:43:00 EDT 2009

2009/9/18 Dimitrios Apostolou <jimis at gmx.net>

> On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Nicolas Bigaouette wrote:
>
>  I'm using Arch on a old Sony Vaio: pentium II 200MHz with ~64MB of ram. It
>>

> Cool, especially since you have desktop software on it... How did you
> manage to install with only 64MB RAM?

Note that I'm not sure how much RAM I have. I might have more, like 80MB,
but not much more. I can verify tonight. I remember trying to access the web
with it (with arora I think), it was possible but really slow, and forget
about tabs.

As for installation, it was a pain. Mainly because this laptop does not have
a cd drive, and does not support booting from USB... When I got that
machine, debian was on it with grub. So I copied the usb thumb drive image's
kernel to the hd, added an entry for this kernel in grub, and booted the fs
on the usb drive. Started installation, wiped-out debian and only have arch
now. Put back arch's grub and its configuration, and "that's it"... ;)

I also have Arch on a server at work: pentium IV 1.8GHz with 512MB of ram.
It's working perfectly: serving svn and git repos. But that's a heavyweigth
compared to the vaio! ;)