[arch-general] Last couple of updates Knocked my Wireless -- OUT (atheros/madwifi/ath_pci)

Tom K tomk at runbox.com
Mon Sep 21 10:25:24 EDT 2009

David C. Rankin wrote:
> Listmates,
>
> 	I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting this problem. For months and
> months, ever since I installed Arch, my Atheros wifi (through ath0) has always
> just worked right out of the box.
<snip>
> The mywpa.conf file is:
>
> CONNECTION="wireless"
> INTERFACE=wlan0
> SCAN="yes"
> SECURITY="wpa"
> ESSID="skyline"
> KEY="notmyrealkey"
> IP="dhcp"
> TIMEOUT=20

That profile would never have worked with ath0, as it specifies wlan0 as
the interface.
> Now I boot my box and I get nothing but the "lo" interface brought up. What
> gives?
Check dmesg and/or your logs for clues.
> What in the world could have changed in the past week or so that is
> presenting my wireless from being brought up at boot?

As already mentioned - until you tell us what you have done to your
system in the past week or so, you might as well be asking how to build
one of these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion

T.