[arch-general] vim 7.2.245-1

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 17:05:10 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Tobias Kieslich <tobias at justdreams.de> wrote:

>> There is a /usr/share/vim folder and inside of it /plugin, /vim72 and /vimfiles
>> I tried to copy my files from ~/.vim to all of that places and nothing worked. Don't know what to try else.
>
> We try to be more compliant with upstream vim: the out of the box path
> consists of /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/after and /usr/share/vim/vim72,
> where the vimfiles/after one is the more desireable to use because it
> does not contain version information.
>
> The plugins bundled with Archlinux now use /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/after
> and they have been recompiled for that. The whole point of that was,
> that we never ever have to set the runtimepath again.

Hrrm, I don't know if we should be using the 'after' dir for default
plugins installed by pacman. It seem like these actually belong in
/usr/share/vim/vimfiles/plugin/. The after directory has a special
purpose, and none of the plugins I can think of seem to fit that
purpose. At least, it doesn't seem valid to use the after dir as a
general rule.