[arch-general] Independent arch field in sub packages? (Was: Re: [commitpkg] Some stylistic cleanup)

Evangelos Foutras foutrelis at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 16:37:44 EDT 2009

Eric Bélanger wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Aaron Griffin wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> I pushed all of your patches. The last one didn't apply cleanly, so I
>>> had to do some tweaking. It was most likely related to me removing
>>> trailing whitespace from the svn spacing commit.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot!
>>>
>> Thanks for applying the patches to devtools.
>>
>> I have a question. Currently, sub packages can't have a different
>> architecture field than the main package. Are there plans to add this
>> possibility in the future? This could come in handy with packages that have
>> huge data files that are architecture independent and can be split into a
>> sub package with arch=('any').
>>
>> I'm mainly asking because if the above gets implemented, commitpkg will need
>> to be slightly modified in order to be able to locate -any sub packages (and
>> I have a feeling that it was able to do this before my patches were applied
>> :d ).
>>

> There's already a feature request in flyspray:
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/15955

I see. So there will be in total three variables that can be overridden
in a sub package that affect its final filename; pkgver, pkgrel, and
arch. Finding those variables before defining pkgfile as
"${_pkgname}-${pkgver}-${pkgrel}-${CARCH}${PKGEXT}" should allow
commitpkg to cope with these sub packages.

Hmmm, this definitely needs some more thinking. :)