[arch-general] dd and bash_completion

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 16:23:16 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 10:15 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah, well obviously it's more complicated than I though.
>
> The point is, that the COMP_WORDBREAKS setting, is splitting "if="
> into "if" and "=", which doesn't match the case statement.
>
> If we want to fix this just for dd, we need to match the "=" and then
> get the previous word in COMP_WORDS
>   prev="${COMP_WORDS[$(($COMP_CWORD -1))]}"
>
> Aaaaand... that doesn't work. I dunno, this is confusing, but the
> point is, it's splitting on the "if=" and thus can never complete as
> is

I tried many things earlier today, looking at other completion files,
trying to use prev, splitting on =, etc.
But I did not figure out the COMP_WORDBREAKS thing (the word caught a
bit my attention but I did not look further).
So maybe the changes I did in combination to that setting would have
worked better, I am not sure.

Though at the end of my experiment, I actually got a behavior very
similar to what Thomas just reported.

I think we need a bash completion expert :) I tried to contact the two
dev about this problem but I don't know if they are active and
responsive.