[arch-general] Failover to LTS in the Arch boot processt?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Sep 25 12:31:23 EDT 2009

Guys,

I'm curious. Since there is now an LTS kernel, has anyone thought about adding
a few lines of code to the Arch boot process that would provide for automatic
failover to the LTS kernel in the event the normal kernel failed to load
during the boot process. The thought is to provide redundancy for servers in
the case where the regular kernel becomes corrupt (for whatever reason, disk
problem, etc...) and a reboot is forced (exhausted UPS, etc..)

I don't know what it would take or if it is doable. I had just envisioned
adding a trap that catches the failure of the regular kernel to boot, checks
for the presence of the LTS kernel, and if installed boots the LTS kernel in
this case.

I haven't looked deep enough into the Arch boot process to know if it is
feasible, but it just seemed like a good bit of extra protection that Arch
could provide for server installs where the server operates on the regular
kernel but also has LTS installed as a backup.

I'll leave it to the gurus to consider. If it's not doable or not worth doing,
then just consider it another of my stray thoughts worthy of the DEL key ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC