[arch-general] Why doesn't Arch show full kernel version in uname-r?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Sep 26 02:29:42 EDT 2009

Guys,

	When I do uname -r to get the kernel name, I never get the full versions
information about the installed kernel. Example, tonight, the new kernel is:

kernel26-2.6.31.1-1-x86_64

but when I do a uname -r, I only see: "2.6.31-ARCH". That doesn't tell me
anything about the minor version, etc. and if that information is wanted, then
you have to look at the cache or some other software package that would
disclose this. As another example, on an older suse box I have uname -r gives:
2.6.25.20-0.5-pae. That tells me exactly version I'm  running. Any reason the
rest of the version string inst included in this naming?

Not a biggie by any stretch, just another curious thought ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC