[arch-general] Opera Tip -- Use QT/GTK file Open/Save dialogs

David Keogh davekeogh at archlinux.us
Sun Sep 27 23:03:20 EDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 11:40 PM, David C. Rankin <
drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:

> Archers,
>
>        I have always liked the opera browser, but one thing that has really
> sucked
> about it was the crappy file open/file save dialogs opera comes with.
> Picking
> around tonight, I ran across an option in opera's configuration that allows
> you to choose the file selector dialogs to use. It is cryptic as hell, but
> found the commit page for the changes and got the needed information.
>
>        To make use of real kde4 open/save dialogs in opera, got to the
> config page
> by typing "opera:config" into the address bar, the scroll down to "File
> Selector", then change the setting to "2". The commit notes say:
>
> 0 - normal
> 1 - Qt
> 2 - GTK
>
>        For some reason, I couldn't get Qt to work, so I select "2" for GTK,
> and
> Bingo! I had usable dialogs in opera (you may need to restart opera). What
> relief. If you use opera, it's worth a look.
>
>        While on the subject, you might want to check out the C00-14,
> Keramik and
> crystal_onyx_bull skins. Opera has come a long way in 10.0<http://www.rankinlawfirm.com>

Thank you. This has been my single major gripe with Opera on linux for a
very long time. I have no idea why they wouldn't detect the correct one and
use it by default. THe lame file selector has probably turned a lot of
people away over the years.

--
David