[arch-general] Netbook recommendations

Corin Schedler corin.gs at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 17:15:52 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 04:00:32PM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 3:55 PM,  <hollunder at gmx.at> wrote:
> > On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 15:22:15 -0500
> > Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Awesome! Thanks for this
> >
> > I look around for some time and would probably go with an eeepc. It
> > seems they switched to windows again tough.
> > Netbook based on the ion platform seem to be available now (nvidia
> > graphics) but there likely are still no dual core atom ones.
> >
> > I eventually decided to go for a thinkpad instead, 'just' have to find a
> > model that suits since you can't customise them here...
>
> I've begun looking in depth at the Eee 1005HA model. Does anyone have
> experience with this one? I notice there are P, V, and B models (in
> order of most expensive to least), with slightly varying specs.

I have a 1000H. It's slightly older but almost identical to the HA
model. It's been running Arch since I bought it and it runs great. The
hotkey power switch for the WiFi card doesn't work, and there seems to
be a slightly higher power drain in suspend mode than the XP install
that came on it. I'm not sure if that has to do with my suspend
configuration or what, but it's worth noting.

Anyway, I typically run GNOME...xcompmgr (or compiz) works, but it can get
'stuttery' if you're doing much more than web browsing. Video/media is
hit and miss for me - YouTube is watchable, Hulu is not, for example.

I'd recommend it if you want to get a netbook. The only hardware gripe I
have is the 'mini' right shift key - it's the size of a standard letter
key, and it's super annoying especially with how much code I write. It's
awesome otherwise.