[arch-general] VPS hosting with Arch

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 05:06:57 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 08:31,  <Nezmer at allurelinux.org> wrote:
> Thank you for the openhosting link . They only charge for the bandwidth used and that's
> cool .

They also charge for RAM and HDD used (RAM is the most expensive).
The interesting thing is that they use KVM, which is quite rare yet
(found only a couple of other smaller providers that use KVM too).
Arch's standard kernel runs in paravirtualized mode in KVM which is nice.
With the active development of virtio-based drivers and RedHat
going to provide an enterprise KVM-based platform
I think KVM will become more popular in the future.

> I contacted VPSVille yesterday wondering what arch(s) do they support .They have both
> 32bit & 64bit kernels but unlike Debian Ubuntu and CentOS , they only offer i686 Arch
> templates (and that piece of info took the support people sometime to figure out!!)

oh, thanks for the info.

> I wish Arch was a choice in serverpronto.com offerings .

Hm, "The World’s Most Affordable Dedicated Server"...
They even have 5$ promo server. :-)

While thinking about it - it is possible to install Arch on any system
(so any provider can be chosen), but that requires more work:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Install_From_Existing_Linux
Xen: http://wiki.slicehost.com/doku.php?id=installing_an_arbitrary_linux_distro_on_your_slice
OpenVZ: http://wiki.openvz.org/Archlinux_Template_creation

--