[arch-general] kaffeine [sigh] is there an alternative that:...

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Thu Apr 1 08:42:01 CEST 2010

It would appear that on Mar 31, Guilherme M. Nogueira did say:

> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtwdyp at ttlc.net>wrote:
>
> > [ ... ]
> > 99% of the time what I want is to just play the whole list in random order
> > with an easy hot key to skip any I decide, upon hearing, that I'm not in
> > the
> > mood for.
> >

> That is exactly what I do, with a collection of about 10.000 songs.
> I use MPD and ncmpcpp frontend, which is great.
> with ncmpcpp you just go with TAB to change from playlist to browser and
> vice-versa
> and press SPACE to add a directory and all its subdirs to the playlist.
> So, if you have a top directory where all your mp3s are stored (like I do),
> you would
> just go to browser and press SPACE on this top dir, and you have the
> playlist with
> all your songs.
> Press 'z' to turn random on and off. User up and down arrow keys or pgup
> pgdown
> to navigate the playlist, and ENTER to play a song.

Well the MPD/ncmpcpp combo might work for me. But I liked the default
keybindings attributed to MOC. Then I found out it's browser is very much
like mc... So I decided to try MOC first. {errr make that mocp}
So far MOC works for me... & I was able to get it from the official
repositories of all 4 of my installed linux distros.  But if it acts up
I'll look into MPD/ncmpcpp...

It would appear that on Mar 31, Linas did say:

> Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> > Actually though *_IF_* the $PLAYER doesn't choke on the lines representing each
> > directory itself being included with the list of the music files within it, so that
> > I don't have to edit the resulting .m3u file. -<snip>-

> find -type f  :)
> You may want a script to automatically update the list, run it manually
> or from cron, add -name constraints for some file types...
> I just wanted to remind you that you can use it. Advanced options are an
> exercise for the reader :)

Thank you for that Linas, that works great. Once I figured out that it
was actually "find $path -type f" that is... ;-)

You have basically rescued kaffeine for me. Thanks! Though, depending on my
mood, I'm starting to like MOC

It would appear that on Mar 30, David C. Rankin did say:

> You know, it just really makes your wonder -- "What were they thinking??" That
> combined with all the basic operations that now require ctrl+alt+shift+F11 what
> used to be a simple mouse-click, has completely reinvented "finger twister".

I don't know what they were thinking. But it sure wasn't how to keep me
using it... KDE4 forced such a change in user methods. (Felt like a "Resistance
is futile. You have no choice. You WILL use your PC OUR way." mind set) Any
way it reminded me of why I left Microsoft behind.

But I can't quite agree with the complaint you listed. KDE (even KDE4) lets
you change most keybindings. So "finger twisters" are avoidable. And
personally, I'd rather have to:
<RighthandCtrl>+<LefthandAlt>+<BothShifts>+<F11> then get stuck HAVING to
"click" on something. One of the things that bugged me with KDE4 was how
many things I used to be able to do without dusting of the trackball,
that were no longer practical without clicking... Especially the
keyboard shortcut assignment method. With kde3, I didn't need to touch the
"mouse" at all to assign shortcuts. (unless I wanted to assign a 2nd
shortcut) This just isn't practical with KDE4. So of course, I've kind of
adopted E17 as my new favorite desktop, and their keybinding gui is just
as mouse intensive. (sigh) go figure...