[arch-general] jack & qjackctl

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 06:41:38 EDT 2010

On 7 April 2010 17:24,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 02:21:20AM +0200, Philipp wrote:
>
>> Excerpts from fons's message of 2010-04-07 00:46:09 +0200:
>> > It seems like Arch is currently offering Jack and qjackctl
>> > packages that are not compatible.
>> >
>> > The Jack authors changed one some command line options
>> > in 0.118. '-R' for realtime is no longer available as
>> > realtime is now the default, and the new '-r' means
>> > 'no realtime'.
>> >
>> > Qjackctl 0.3.6 is aware of this, but won't work well with
>> > Jack 0.116 which is still the one available from Arch.
>> > In other words, the update of qjackctl was probably a bit
>> > premature.
>> >
>> > Ciao,
>>
>> The real problem is that jack is still stuck at the rather old 0.116.
>> One reason might be those, IMHO in the meanwhile annoying scripts that
>> ship with the Arch jack package. It's tough to get them right it seems.
>> I would be all in favor of splitting them into a separate package and
>> install jack just the way it is supposed to. Much less hassle, less
>> confused users and as a bonus those scripts can be easily used with
>> other variants of jack.
>
> If you mean the /etc/rc.d scripts ISTR those were removed recently.
> Anyway they don't interfere with the normal use of Jack.

Correct, the newer scripts were removed, i.e patch reverted. That was
because I found out upstream no longer had any kind of provision for
what we were trying to achieve with the scripts. And keeping the older
scripts there was just the result of un-patching, I would suppose
(Ghost1227 was on it).

Anyway it shouldn't matter because (1) it is just a daemon and has no
effect if not used and (2) some people on Arch may actually be using
the older scripts. It's up to the maintainer whether he/she wants to
remove them. Either way the only thing missing is an update and a
dependency on libsamplerate instead of libsndfile (for netjack), which
is in testing and I guess will be moved soon.

As for the premature move of qjackctl, I believe no-one actually
informed anyone of the new change.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD