[arch-general] keyboard not working in Xorg after package updates

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Apr 7 10:32:38 EDT 2010

I upgraded my extremely not-up-to-date server last night (523 packages
upgraded).  The upgrade generally went well, except for one significant
issue:  the keyboard is no longer working under Xorg.  It works fine in
a command line tty though (i.e., ctrl-alt-F1).

Not sure what the problem is, as it was working before the upgrade, and
I'm fairly certain I've got all the relevant bits installed and loaded,
such as:

* evdev module loaded
* dbus daemon running
* hal daemon running
* xf86-input-evdev package installed
etc.

Perhaps related:  I saw the following odd sequence of messages in the
Xorg.0.log:

(II) config/hal: Adding input device Power Button
(**) Power Button: always reports core events
(**) Power Button: Device: "/dev/input/event2"
(II) Power Button: Found keys
(II) Power Button: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Power Button
(**) Power Button: always reports core events
(**) Power Button: Device: "/dev/input/event3"
(II) Power Button: Found keys
(II) Power Button: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"

Certainly sounds like that could be the cause, but I have no idea why
that's happening or how to fix.

Anyone have any ideas?

TIA,

DR