[arch-general] Arch Linux Release Question

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Thu Apr 8 07:21:06 EDT 2010

It would appear that on Apr 8, Lukáš Jirkovský did say:

> Hi David,
> > It doesn't matter whether you use the
> > latest install set or the one from 3 'releases' back, after the first update,
> > you will have the exact same, current Arch Linux we all have. It is the smartest
> > way to do a Linux distribution -- hands down.
>
> I don't agree with you. For 99 % (just guessing) packages it's true,
> but if you need new kernel to correctly boot it's a problem. The fact
> that in the repo is kernel new enough for you to boot but installer
> has too old kernel is not really a way how to attract users.

I hope you don't mind an {Arch-newbie} jumping in here... ;-7

Perhaps what David should have said is something like:

[paraphrase]
It doesn't matter whether your Arch system was installed yesterday using the
latest install set or was previously installed using the one from 3 'releases'
back, after the next update, you will have the exact same, current Arch Linux
we all have. It is the smartest way to do a Linux distribution -- hands down.
[/paraphrase]

My take on it is that while it's always a good idea to be using a
current install medium, with Arch it only matters that your system is
able to become current via update. The release of a new install set in
itself should never be a reason to reinstall a working system.

All I know for sure is that while Arch takes a bit more work to get a
running desktop system than some other distros, The idea of not having
to start from scratch every 6 months makes it "way worth it..."

I've learned that if I can only find the right wiki entry, there is
usually a good comprehensive walk through of whatever I need to do to my
system. And this way, I wind up with a better understanding of my system.

So as long as the rolling release process turns out to be consistently
more reliable than updating a 'buntu system to the next release {by
editing the sources list and doing an "apt-get dist-upgrade" (2 out of 5
such upgrades really hosed my my 'buntu installs...)} then I'll be singing
praises to the rolling release concept for a long time.  (I really detest
having to recreate my user environment every 6 months...)

Nuff said.