[arch-general] Emerald crashing on theme change or edit in Gnome

Firmicus Firmicus at gmx.net
Tue Apr 13 17:03:40 EDT 2010

On 13/04/2010 22:30, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 04/12/2010 04:46 PM, Firmicus wrote:
>
>> On 12/04/2010 02:04, Alexander Lam wrote:

>>> Same issue here - compiz standalone setup
>>>

>> Happens also without compiz, just latest gnome with metacity: starting
>> "gnome-appearance-properties" yields
>> "Fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server :0.0."
>> and X crashes. Not yet sure what's causing this.

> I know that there is a conflict in older versions of gnome/metacity/gtk and the
> gstreamer-ugly plugin, but I don't think that is the problem with the current
> Arch package. I don't know what the issue is, but I can confirm the
> appearance-properties crash as well. On my system, it crashes, the bug reporting
> tool comes up, I send the bug in, and then I can continue to use the appearance
> tool without further problems. I can also confirm that this behavior occurs on
> Gnome 2.2 and the current arch version.

It appears to be related to some ancient and incompatible configuration
settings under $HOME/.gconf/, because the problem disappeared after I
renamed ~/.gconf and restarted gnome/metacity. I have not tracked this
down further though: I just copied over the settings I really care for,
and left the rest in a backup.